4-H Food and Nutrition/Healthy Lifestyles Project
Food Show Dates to Remember:
- October 24: County Food Show Entries Due, call 254-697-7045
- November 2: County Food Show, 6pm, Location: County Extension Office
- December 7: District Food Show, 8am, Location: Bell County Expo
A 5 minute interview will be done from all participants.
Remember these items:
- Serving utensil- to serve judges (wrapped in napkin)
- Table setting to show off dish (40 in wide max) -1 table setting
- Recipe for judges and for table
- Extra food for people’s choice tasting
- Dress nice (or to your theme of table and dish)!
- HAVE FUN!!!!
- Sample questions:
Sample Questions for Clover Kids:
|Did you have fun in the Food and Nutrition project this year?|
|What did you learn in your Food and Nutrition project?|
|What food is in your dish?|
|What did you do first before preparing your food?|
|How did you make your food?|
|What do you know about the food pyramid or the food groups ?|
|Presentation- (presenting of information, speaking, did they stand still or fidget?)|
Sample Questions for Junior, Int, and Seniors
- How do you balance your daily menu to ensure that you get proper amounts of food from the food groups?
- Name food groups and amounts that are required from each food group each day.
- What function does each ingredient perform in the recipe?
- What are the basic preparation principles involved in preparing this dish?
- What food safety practices did you use during preparation?
- What is considered a serving of your dish?
- If substitutions are possible, what are they?
- What and what amount of important nutrients are found in your dish?
- What is the function of the nutrients found in your dish?
- What change have you made in your dietary habits as a result of your 4-H food project?
- Tell about your community service and leadership through the year’s food project?
- What were your goals for your foods project and what are some activities you did in this project?
- What do you consider your most important learning experience in this year’s food project?
- Is there anything else you would like to tell us about your project?
These are sample questions. Judges are free to ask whatever they wish.
Healthy Lifestyles Dates to Remember:
- Practices: Start March 2017 (See website and 4-H Blast later for details)
- Contest: Thursday, June 8th